Wednesday, January 27, 2010

No Day But Today

Something in me longs for greatness. What that greatness looks like? I don't know. But as cliche as it is, I want to make my mark on this world. I want to leave a legacy. And there are many days when I grow frustrated because I feel like I am making as much progress as a person writing with chalk on a sidewalk in pouring rain. I feel like I'm getting nowhere.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Whether your dream is to discover the cure for some rare disease, to write the perfect song, to raise a loving family, to (you fill in the blank), there is something inside of us that says, "There must be more."

And on this journey towards greatness we are accompanied by a chorus of voices that we can't seem to quiet. There's the "Whiner." "Why am I not successful yet? This is so frustrating. I hate this." Pretty soon the "Doubter" starts chiming in. "Will I ever get there? Maybe I'm not good enough. Do I even have what it takes? Probably not." Then the "Quitter" decides to join the party. "Forget this. This is too hard. It's so not worth it. I'm too tired. Let's just sit on the couch and watch some mind-numbing television. Then we don't have to think about any of this."

Sound familiar?

Well, for all of you dreamers out there, take heart.

Remember GOD, our creator, HE is the ultimate dreamer. His dreams for us are far greater than we could ever ask or imagine. (Hence the name of this blog.) Also, God has never asked us to "BE THERE" already. Only to walk with him daily and to trust him.

Simple. Yet so hard!

God has been speaking to me over and over these words about just taking things one day at a time.

Do what you need to do today, and eventually you will collect enough experiences to have made something substantial.

We've all heard the cliches:
Rome wasn't built in a day.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
It's the little things that count.

As tired as these sayings are, we shouldn't discount them. They are cliches for a reason.

So are you faced with a giant task? Are you seeking to climb your Everest?

Break it down. Have a goal. Figure out when you want to accomplish the goal. Then break it down by month, week and eventually by day.

Meet your daily goal for seven days, and you will naturally meet your weekly goal. Meet your weekly goal four times, you'll reach your monthly goal. Reach your monthly goal 12 times and that's your yearly goal.

This is how great things are accomplished. Step by step. Bit by bit.

Don't get so overwhelmed by the ginormous goal that you never step forward.

Ask God today what he wants you to do today. And do it. Then repeat again tomorrow.

A month from now, a year from now, you will look back and realize, "Wow! I've actually gone somewhere." This will give you the strength you need to keep moving forward.

So go head. Take a step!

There's NO DAY BUT TODAY!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, a new post!
    Good one. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete